Alas, the much awaited Apple OS iOS 11 and Apple watch OS watchOS 4 are available here. Since the day, the features were unveiled, we have been counting days to the day when these were available for public. The upgrade is definitely huge and there are numerous features which are bound to make people excited.
Is your device compatible?
- To enjoy iOS 11 update in mobile phone, you will need an iPhone 5s or newer Apple phone.
- iOS 11 is compatible in iPad mini 2 and all the successors of it.
- Also, iOS 11 is compatible in iPod 6th generation
- WatchOS 4 is available for all generations of Apple watch.
The below image depicts the list of compatible devices for iOS 11 and watchOS4.
What are the new features in iOS 11?
New features – General
- The first thing you will notice is a revamped Control Center which now relies on jumbo sized icons and also shortcuts on it now fits in one page. Also, you can add custom icons to control center in iOS 11.
- You can add screen recorder to Control Center using the custom shortcut.
- With iOS 11, ARKit for Augmented Reality is introduced. This will help developers to integrate augmented reality experiences in apps and games.
- iOS app store is redesigned and seems to have greatly inspired from the UI of Apple Music.
- There is a Files app where you can access files from local device, iCloud, dropbox and Google drive.
- It now have a double tapping keyboard, which means you can a type number or symbol without swiping to the second keyboard set.
- You can now save GIF files to your photo gallery.
- Now, you can easily share your WiFi password if an iOS user tries to join the same WiFi network.
- Using Notes app, now you can scan documents, which implies you can bid adieu to the third party note apps.
- Flashlight have got an additional intensity option now.
New features that interest music lovers – Apple Music
- Now, you can share your playlist with your friends.
- UI of Apple Music is improved and now the music player square have a source icon.
- Also, Siri is greatly improved and it is now better integrated with Apple Music.
- Improved and compact Apple Music controls are now integrated to the Control Center.
New features that interest photography enthusiasts – Camera
- In iOS 11, the photos and videos will now consume lesser space as they get saved as files of HEIF(High-Efficiency Image File Format) and HEVC (High-Efficiency Video Coding) at H.265 formats. However, this feature is limited to devices with A10 chip and hence only iPhone 7 will support these new formats.
- Also, Camera is intelligent enough to detect and read a QR code when you point camera to a QR code.
- Editing and adding effects to live photos is a reality now.
- You can unlock a secret camera level feature. This will help in straightening your frame before clicking the picture.
- There are some cool new camera filters.
How to update?
For iOS 11 upgrade
- If you own any of the aforemenioned compatible device, by now, there should be a popup notifying about iOS 11 update. Just click the popup and follow the instructions.
- If you are not yet notified that update is available, you can update your OS by jumping to Settings, then to General and finally hit on Software Update.
For watch OS 4 upgrade
- Open watch app from your iPhone
- From ‘My Watch‘ tab, choose Settings.
- Now choose General and then Software Update
Final Words – Should you upgrade?
If you own an Apple product, then all the aforementioned features can sound luring on first sight. But, in due course, people will realize iOS 11 is a deviation from what the Apple pioneers believed in. Also, there are few users, who have complained that the cellular handovers are sometimes slower after the iOS 11 upgrade. In social media, people also have been complaining that the battery life after the update. So, I would recommend you to hold back for a week or so and see more reviews and then decide on whether to upgrade or not.
Latest posts by Jakes (see all)
- Babies and Identical Twins fools iPhone X Face ID recognition - November 1, 2017
- How to remove Free Caller ID annoying bloatware from Android phone? - October 1, 2017
- iOS 11 andwatchOS 4 are here – Features and How to install - September 20, 2017