You wouldn’t have installed Truecaller ID, CIA, Hiya, DU Caller ID or any other caller ID apps on your android phone. But, you would be yet seeing caller ID popups during your incoming or outgoing calls. This post will list down the steps on how to remove free caller id. However, let me confess this is not going to be a guaranteed nor a trivial solution.
Unlike iOS, Android doesn’t seems to believe in a closed ecosystem. These kind of annoying adware can get installed through some legit android apps (On second thought, those shouldn’t called legit). So removing or deleting free caller id depends on identifying the android app installed, through which this adware have sneaked in and deleting these termite apps.
One way to inspect this annoying situation is to see the running apps listed under Settings -> Apps -> Running. To identify the suspicious ones from this list is a bit herculine of a task as we use a bunch of android apps these days. Also, you can click on the privacy link mentioned in the pop up and see if any mail id or website url address is mentioned in it and accordingly you can google it. A simpler way to remove free caller ID would be to identify apps which have the permission to read call state and can show pop ups during incoming and outgoing calls.
Steps to remove free caller ID Android spam
- Install the android app ‘Addons Detector’ from Google Play Store by visiting this link.
- Once installed, open the app and hit ‘Scan’ button.
- Once Scan is done, go to permission explorer.
- Once the results are shown, sort by name and search for ‘android.permission.MODIFY_PHONE_STATE’ and ‘android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW’.
- Now, you have filter down the results to few apps – the apps listed under the aforementioned android permissions.
- Now, from this list of apps, you will have to filter out the app which is not reliable.
- Yes, you have to apply a trial and error message at this stage. In our case, the culprit app was vivavideo. Once the vivavideo was uninstalled, the annoying free caller id was also gone.
Latest posts by Jakes (see all)
- How to remove Free Caller ID annoying bloatware from Android phone? - October 1, 2017
- iOS 11 andwatchOS 4 are here – Features and How to install - September 20, 2017
- Mass roll out of Android Lollipop for Moto G India begins - January 24, 2015